Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Time Trial

Today started early.  I ran to the track for an early morning 2 mile time trial per my Training Peaks calendar.  Did the 10 minute warm up, striders, and then took off.  Drank some freshly made Execute by Energy Lab before starting the time.

Now, I didn't have anything prior to running.  No gels, bagel, cereal, fruit, etc...just some water before I left.  The Execute is all I had before starting the time trial.  I'm still trying to get used to it.

I started the timer and off I went.  Pacing is something that I am still working with.  One lap then two.  I felt good.  I mentally told myself then that 25% done.  However, after that, I started to worry that I wouldn't finish.  My heart rate monitor kept buzzing me since I was exceeding my typical threshold (note to self...turn that sucker of next time).  But, I kept going telling myself that I would look until mile 1 and that I could do this.

Mile 1 came and I looked down...6:21!  Not bad considering 2 weeks ago I did my 1 mile TT at 5:53.  I kept going thinking, I could keep this up.

Lap 8 finally arrived and I held back until about 200 to 150 meters out.  For some reason, I was afraid I would bonk, barf, trip, pull something, etc. etc.  I for sure picked up the pace the last 100.  As I crossed I stopped the time and looked...12:44.  My second mile was almost exactly like my first.  Overall, not bad for my first 2 mile TT.

Now to reflect:

  • My heart rate peaked at 182 bpm
  • My heart rate held around 175 almost the entire run until the last 150 or so and then spiked
  • My speed (per my Garmin 310xt) stayed very constant upon evaluation on Training Peaks
  • What does this mean?  Not sure, but...
Result:  I probably could have pushed it harder.  I know this is just practice, but mentally I need to get rid of those doubts in my head and push.  It's not like I would explode (no one has yet).  Next time will be better.

Funny that I mention this and ran across an article in Lava Magazine today about teaching yourself to suffer:


I'm still alive today, no pain now, and even pulled off my swim at lunch today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment