Sunday, August 26, 2012

Not much new...Tired a Bit

Not much new to report here this weekend.

We had a nice family weekend in the pool and taking new family pictures.  Can't wait to get the new shots.

After my long Wednesday ride I began to feel sluggish.  This is mainly due to my nutrition.  I put in about 8 to 8.5 hours of training this week.  I cut back mainly due to feel.

I believe that I completely screwed my nutrition up after the ride Wednesday by not refueling after correctly.  My food intake didn't increase much post work out and I paid for several days.  I will not do that again.  Replacing 1800 calories from the ride is harder than I thought.

Also, besides that, I've probably been neglecting my nutrition overall with the higher training load I am taking on.  Dropping 15 pounds since mid May is quite a bit.  I've been one sided on this and saying it is no big deal, but I now realize it is a much bigger deal (cost me new pants).

So, after a helpful discussion with Jennifer I've committed to eating more and I will begin taking some supplements.  At first, I planned on avoiding them, but now I realize (after consulting with several top age groupers) that I must.

First on the list is a multi-vitamin.  I am starting off with Hammer Nutrition Premium Insurance Caps.  They claim the multi-vitamin is engineered for endurance athletes.  So, I will give it a go.  I might ad magnesium on its own based on my conversations with certain top age groupers.

Second, I am adding protein supplementation via Isopure whey protein.  I need to make sure I keep and build my lean muscle mass and not lose it.  Rapid weight loss (even though much of it probably needed to come off) can be dangerous in that it reduces muscle mass.  We all know that would not be good.  Also, higher endurance workloads tear muscle fibers more and I need to rebuild them via the protein.  So I will shoot for .6 to .8 grams per pound of weight.

Those are my lessons to take into next week and beyond.  This will be another mild week with more recovery based zone workouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment