Wednesday, August 22, 2012

First Long Bike Ride

What beautiful weather we have been having.  Yesterday's morning run to do some track work was incredible...cool and little humidity.  I told Jennifer that had I known the weather would be like that, I would have woken up even earlier and gone for a long endurance run.  Oh well...the time will come again.

I did take advantage of the weather to put in a long bike ride.  This was going to be my longest ride to date so far.  So I loaded the bike with Execute, PowerGels, phone, cash, salt tabs, water, and some Biest Booster (more on this soon).  I took off and couldn't have enjoyed the weather better.

Now my ride was supposed to be about 55 miles or so, but one of the country roads that turns south back home was completely closed for bridge repair.  Thus, I had to turn around and backtrack and head home an alternate way that eventually put me back on course.

Riding out into the country is beautiful and I really enjoy it.  It's quiet, peaceful, hilly, and just nice.  Once of the things I notice is that locals really respect riders.  They always move way over to pass and you never feel in harms way.

BTW, I wear my RoadID always just in case.  I highly recommend everyone to wear it.  I even wear it when I run.

I did learn a lesson today though.  Since my ride took longer than expected, 64 miles vs 55, my ride lasted a bit longer.  Also, I didn't give Jennifer my expected route or call to check in.  She was quite worried about it and I completely understand.  Next time I will make sure she knows my route and will check in at the half way point when I refuel with water.  I promise.

Speaking of refueling, I prepared all of my Execute hydration the night before and froze it.  The thing I didn't realize is that with cooler weather, it takes the drink that much longer to thaw and melt.  Poor planning on my behalf.

Nutrition wise, it felt good.  The PowerGels worked well and I had a banana from the gas station half way.  I did try something new that came in free via 2 time World Champion Chris McCormack.  Biestmilch, one of his long time sponsors offered 5 free samples of their Biest Booster to the 1st 500 responders to his e-blast with the request of a review.  BTW, Macca talks about this in his book I'm Here to Win.  I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in Triathlon and how a World Champion has accomplished his goals.  The book has lots of good tips and things to do and not to do.



Biest Booster is a chewable cube that they claim takes the effect of two gels and gives you an instant kick that lasts.  I believe they are like 300 calories or so.  I have to say, the stuff works as promised.  I took one cube about 15 - 20 minutes into the ride and noticed quickly the effect and then one at about mile 50 or so.  It gave me the energy I needed to push harder than my last ride, but my fatigue levels were low.  It especially helped towards the end to get me home.

I felt more focused, energized, and relaxed in the ride.  I like the stuff and will try it next for a run and hopefully another long ride and maybe brick workout.  Maybe I will order some.

No comments:

Post a Comment