Sunday, September 30, 2012

Houston Tri/Aquathon

Today I completed my first triathlon...the Houston Triathlon.  My first race was also my first Olympic distance (1500 meter swim, 24 mile bike, and 10k run).  I've been training now for several months.   I wanted to do well overall.  This is the first race on my triathlon journey.

Here is the thing...thanks to the nice cool front that has come through and the bad weather that hit the area last night, the bike portion of the race was cancelled at 10:30 pm Saturday night!  Their justification was that the weather delay (even though all roads were dry on way over this morning) makes it very difficult for them to mark the course out and that debris and high water had filled several parts of the course.  Safety first I guess.  The only downside to this is that I had rented an aero helmet and some cool Easton Race Tubular wheels for my ride.  I was ready to fly.  Maybe next time.

Now for the aquathon.  The air temperature kept dropping all morning from the front.  The water temp was actually warmer than the air (water was 79.5 degrees F).  I finished the swim in 28 minutes and 33 seconds or 1:54 per hundred meters.  I was 13th out of 74 in my age group.  I feel that this is slower than what I have been training at, but oh well.  Also, maybe it was due to the cold temp and being outside for 2 hours prior to start, but I felt sloppy in my swim.  I couldn't extend my strokes the way I've been doing in the pool.  Improvement for next time.

Here I am floating in the water waiting for my wave to start.


Here I am coming out of the water.  Notice, I did not shave my chest.  This is why I probably was slower.

Now, once out of the water, the transition was about a half mile away!!!  Crazy!!  I had a slow transition.  I'll know more when the site updates the official results.  Shoes, race belt, and 2 gels and I was off.  Had 1 gel on way out of transition.  Transition took 4:32!!!  I was 29th out of 74.

On the run course I opted to not wear the HR monitor per my coaches recommendation and things I had read.  I didn't want the distraction and I've actually been doing my past several speed workouts without one.  Immediately I was hitting about 7 minutes per mile.  The trouble started slightly at about mile 2 when I felt 2 stitches come on both sides.  This is not normal, but I felt this during the swim on my right side.

I think this is due to my nerves and my multiple bowel movements prior to the race (4).  All were solid, but my sister said that this might have dramatically reduced my sodium levels and thus I cramped.  Next time, I 'll make sure to drop several salt tabs in before starting if this happens again.  However, I hope that it was just the nerves that created this issue.  I've been having troubles sleeping the past several nights in anticipation of this race.  I know it sounds gross to document this, but I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue and you have to write about it to learn from it.  There is a reason why the fill the lot with port-o-pots.

On to the race, my pace stayed about 7 minutes per mile even with the cramps.  I took water and a little Gatorade at the stops.  I took a gel at mile 2 and 4.  This was all planned in my race plan and I stuck to it.  With the slight bout of pain, I tried to focus on other things.  I thanked God for allowing me to be here and for the cooler running weather.  I thought about my wife and kids.  I smiled.  I thanked the spectator for cheering us.  All this worked and slowly the pain went away.  I think the sodium from the gels started to kick in and at mile 5 they left.

Here I go out of transition.

It was at this point that I cranked it down and mile 5 to 6 was much faster.  It was in the 6:30 area and I held it.  I felt good and I knew I could hold it.  The finish line came fast and that was it.  I came in 8th place for my age group of 30-34 year old males.  I didn't break the 42 minute 10k goal I had, but I'll take 42:58.  I was 11th out of 74.

So, not bad for my first race.  Total time:  1:16:08.  I was 8th out of 74.  I know that I have areas to improve on (swimming, strength, and nutrition).  These will be some focus areas for me.

I want to say a special thank you to my sister Claudia for coming out to support me.  She held my clothes when I got in the water, took pictures, and encouraged me.  She mentioned she felt inspired...maybe she will start on her triathlon journey.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I am very impressed. Good for you and you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete