Sunday, September 9, 2012

Birthday Weekend

Jennifer, kids, and family, thanks for a wonderful birthday weekend.  God, thank you for the incredible weather this weekend.  Perfect timing!

Saturday started off with a nice Outrival group ride.  I cut off after the 2854 bridge and hit the lake and came back for 1 loop at Woodlands before coming home.  I had an early morning party to take the kids to and couldn't go too much longer since I had an immediate run scheduled.

So after 32 miles and a quick transition, I took of for a 4 miler.  I looked down at the Garmin a few minutes into the run and I couldn't believe my pace at 7:10 to 7:00 per mile!  I knew I was going fast, but I didn't feel tired sluggish.  At mile 1 and 2, I began to feel more comfortable at that pace and saw it fall below the 7 a few times.  I finished the run at about 27:30 for 4 miles.  I could have kept going, but needed to shower for the party.

Here is the kicker about all of this...I didn't use a heart monitor at all this week.  I decided (per advice given to me by a friend who finished 3rd in his AG at IMTX 2012 and was the 1st age grouper out of the water that year) to train without it for a bit (1 week).  It felt different and free.  I guess there is this mental connection to the HR monitor that subconsciously tells you to slow down or speed up.  I did non of my workouts with it this week.

Time away from the HR monitor will have to be a plus.

Back to the brick, I could have pushed harder for a race, but I held back due to experience and training.  I want to make sure I can maintain before killing myself.  My confidence shot way up Saturday after this workout.  The bike was also much better.  I pushed harder and the fit is feeling better.

My swim is feeling better too.  Wednesday last week it felt HORRIBLE!!  My arms felt like dead weight and sloppy.  However, Friday turned it around.  My extension was smooth and long as though I was gliding.  My strength was back.  I don't know what it was.  It might have been the compliment I received from Sarah Gray (the Outrival Swim coach on Fridays and pro in Olympic distance).  She complimented on my stroke and asked if I had a swim background.  I said not, since I really don't.  Most had been from my beach lifeguard days in high school.

I can't wait until the Houston Olympic Tri.


No comments:

Post a Comment